Authors, consultants and speakers all share a common problem making a steady income from their work. You might call it “one and done”.
You write a book – done, until the next book is written.
You get a consulting gig – done, time to look for another assignment.
You give a keynote – done, until the next speaking engagement.
The problem with “done” is that once the event ends, so does most of your revenue.
But there is a solution: use social learning to create new products which not only leverage the content from your events to create new revenue streams, but also grows your audience for future events.
To be clear, social learning is not the same as social media. Hopefully, you already are using social media – LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and others – to communicate with your audience, grow it, and create a tribe of loyal fans awaiting your next book, engagement or project.
Social learning uses the techniques and technologies underlying social media networks and applies them to learning, training and development. These techniques include concepts like social sharing, peer-to-peer feedback, role-playing and gamification – the use of healthy competition to increase participation and learning.
To be fair, almost all effective learning has included some aspects of social learning. We tend to learn best from each other and traditional social learning methods such as group discussion, coaching and apprenticeship have been around a long time.
But the new social learning leverages the technologies behind social networks such as asynchronous video, mobile applications, and networking technology to create a new and exciting revenue possibility: For the first time it’s possible to create products that offer the intimacy of one-to-one coaching with the scalability of a private social network.
Using social learning platforms like SkillFitness, you can transform your original content into new products and revenue streams such as group coaching sessions, mastermind groups, or one-to-one mentoring offerings.
Here’s how it works:
- Create “bite-sized” videos based on the content from your book, speech or consulting work. These one-to-three minute videos can expand on your original content; offer new insights or advanced techniques; feature interviews, success stories or case studies – the possibilities are almost endless. Also, the videos don’t need to be expensive or highly produced. Power users of SkillFitness tell us that often the most effective videos are those shot on their smartphones or tablets. Audiences love the feeling of intimacy and spontaneity created by these low or no budget videos.
- Use the SkillFitness platform to create a social learning app that runs on Apple and Android smartphones and tablets. The web-based SkillFitness learning management system makes it easy to create exercises based on your video and to enroll and manage participants. And it’s easy for your audience to get started; they just download the app and they are ready to learn.
- Your audience watches your videos and practices the exercises you created while capturing self-videos on their mobile devices as they master and hone techniques. Then they share their self-videos with their peers, you or your coaching team for feedback. The anytime-anywhere SkillFitness platform enables trainees, you and your team to fit coaching into busy schedules. Plus you can reward participant engagement with our powerful gamification tools.
Use this three-step process to:
- Create social learning product offerings based on your book, speech or other original content;
- Re-enforce the effectiveness of your content with pre- or post event social learning components;
- Offer group or individualized video coaching following a consulting engagement;
- Form mastermind groups to organize and support your most loyal and avid followers.
Here’s how it’s working for few SkillFitness content partners.
- Leadership Ecademy offers leadership development workshops via instructor-led traditional or virtual classrooms. Using the SkillFitness platform, exercises based on the classroom materials are assigned and evaluated by a coach to ensure that students have mastered the concepts and can apply them in their own organizational environment.
- John Baker, author of The Asking Formula and noted keynote speaker, created the Asking Formula mobile training solution – called AskU – using the SkillFitness platform.
- Twin Cities Traditions provides sales training and coaching based on Brian Tracy’s Sales Success intensive training. Their SalesFitness Tribe product, powered by SkillFitness, provides 16 weeks of follow-up mobile coaching and reinforcement of their instructor-led programs and consulting work.
- John Sweeney, author of The Innovative Mindset and owner of the Brave New Workshop improv theater, teaches corporations how to use improvisational theater concepts and techniques to accelerate innovation. He used SkillFitness to develop OPEN Gym, an innovative thinking training app, which he debuted at his book introduction and offers at his book signings, keynote speeches and workshops.
Social learning – and your own branded coaching, mastermind and mentoring products – can help bridge the gap between one-and-done events by creating new revenue streams, engaging loyal fans, and cementing long-relationships with organizations sponsoring your events.
Click here to learn more about becoming a SkillFitness content partner and how to leverage your content into new revenue streams.
Schedule your personal, one-on-one, online demo today!
Or contact us to learn more about SkillFitness.